Are You Ready For The GPS Week Rollover?

Updated: February 15, 2019

Are You Ready For The GPS Week Rollover?

From the U. S. Department of Energy’s Office of Electricity:

On April 6, 2019, there will be an event affecting the electric transmission and distribution system that has industry concerned about the potential for a major disruption.  During the Week Number rollover of the Global Positioning System (GPS), the week number that uses the 10-bit binary system will reach its limit of 1,024 weeks and will be forced to roll over and be reset to week 0.

For more details, please read this excellent article by Gavin Schrock, PLS at xyHt Magazine.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
WhatsApp
Skype

Originally published on February 15, 2019

About the Author

Wendell T. Harness

I’ve been building online properties since the late 1980’s and transitioned to web design in 1999. I formed Harness Media in 2005 to help businesses grow through online marketing. I also talk to cats in a silly voice.

76 thoughts on “Are You Ready For The GPS Week Rollover?”

1. This is Leica’s response on there “Myworld” website. They have been affected by these rollovers in the past, so will be crossing my fingers at 12:01am.”GPS Week RolloverOccurring 6 April 2019, the transmitted GPS week number in the navigation message will rollover from 1023 to 0. All currently operational Leica Geosystems GNSS receivers will not be affected by this rollover.Nevertheless, to ensure the best possible performance, it is a good practise to use the latest firmware. Please refer to the myWorld portal or contact your local Leica Geosystems representative to obtain the latest firmware versions.”

• I have not been able to find anyone to comment on much of the legacy gear (of any type). And in most cases, when I get a hold of an engineer at (any of the) manufacturers, they were not working there when legacy models were more common. I’ll keep trying…

• I honestly don’t know, however I suspect that the PM3’s will fail. I also doubt new firmware will be made available for them. I also suspect that it will be possible to fix the errant RINEX with a software shim.
      My semi-official responce can be found here: http://ymlp.com/zDSqbb

• PROMARK 3 & GNSS SOLUTION
        I am a owner of a pair of promark 3 .
      After the gps week rollover after I was download the data from rover and the base at the same time the program crash down ( the program don’t respond)
      SOLUTION
      STEP 1

CREATE NEW PROJECT (par example TEST 1)
      DOWNLOAD OR IMPORT DATA FROM ONE UNIT ONLY (BASE OR ROVER)
      IMPORT
      EXIT FROM PROGRAM

STEP 2

RUN GNSS SOLUTION
      OPEN EXISTING PROJECT (TEST 1)
      DOWNLOAD OR IMPORT DATA FROM THE SECOND UNIT ONLY (BASE OR ROVER)
      IMPORT
      PROCCESS AND AJUST

All the static solutions are perfect.
      GEORGE TSIPAS
      CIVIL ENGINEER
      XYLOKASTRO GREECE
      Email:[email protected]

2. I did not see an issue with my old receivers (using for static work) on the last rollover.  Hoping that is the case again. I will be testing the following week for sure.

• Mark,

My PM 220’s are not up to date, do I just run the .cab file? I’m a bit reluctant as I just bricked one trying to reload software.

• From Marks article:
      “it is my guess that the PM2/PM3 receivers will fail on rollover. In addition, I believe that the desktop tool ‘GNSS Solutions’ will probably also fail.”
      It will be a bad day for me should this occur. Both the PM3 and GNSS Solutions have served me well over the years and produced some excellent static work for a next to nothing cost. They were a good tool for me to cut my teeth into GPS.
      Now I know just enough to be dangerous, 😋
      Jim

• If the date is wrong gnss will fail. Convert to rinex and fix the dates, download a broadcast eph. Import the edited rinex into gnss.

• PROMARK 3 & GNSS SOLUTION

I am a owner of a pair of promark 3 .

SOLUTION

STEP 1

1. CREATE NEW PROJECT (par example TEST 1)
        2. DOWNLOAD OR IMPORT DATA FROM ONE UNIT ONLY (BASE OR ROVER)
        3. IMPORT
        4. EXIT FROM PROGRAM

STEP 2

1. RUN GNSS SOLUTION
        2. OPEN EXISTING PROJECT (TEST 1)
        3. DOWNLOAD OR IMPORT DATA FROM THE SECOND UNIT ONLY (BASE OR ROVER)
        4. IMPORT
        5. PROCCESS AND AJUST

All the static solutions are perfect.

GEORGE TSIPAS

CIVIL ENGINEER

XYLOKASTRO GREECE

Email:[email protected]

• Mark,

• After 8in of rain thru 3days and nights ended, on Monday I was able to setup three PM3s in the back yard and only one needed updating and the one I use for rover needed reset.
      All were reading 9 sats and knew where they were.
      Will see in a week or so if they are collecting data and will load into GNSS Solutions.
      GNSS Solutions has had me to process only one location at a time since some time last year.
      Hoping it will still work………….. 🤔

3. ProMark 100, 120, 200, 220 + MobileMapper 100, 120:Download the update file from the Trimble file source. Put it (as a .CAB file) on an SD card. The SD card should be 4GB or less so that the device can read it.                Link: http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-907151/PM5_V2.5.aW215Hm27.CABMake sure device battery is fully (or very nearly fully) charged.Turn on the device. Wait for it to fully boot.From the ‘File Explorer’ on the mobile device (NOT ON YOUR PC!) navigate to the card and then click on the .CAB file. The installer will auto-run. (You can find the ‘File Explorer’ under Start(flag), Programs then drag up.)When/if asked to ‘overwrite existing’ answer yes.When asked to ‘Choose a location…’ pick ‘Device’, then click ‘Install’Blue bar moves across screen,then receiver reboots,wait until receiver then ‘GNSS Upload’ will appear,a new blue bar will slowly move across the screen listing ‘File : gnss_Hm27.bin’,next the bar returns to left and then quickly moves to right,finally device returns to main menu.You can verify that update was succesfull:Start(flag): GNSS Toolbox: About:                GNSS Toolbox Version: 3.5.3                GNSS Service: Version 2.5.1                GNSS Firmware: Hm27                System Firmware: W215

• Thank you very very much for this post! It helped me a lot! One device (I have a whole lot of Ashtechs and Spectras here to fix) still doesn´t want to go through the entire installation process. Could you please give me a clue what could go wrong? I think the process stops in the beginning of “GNSS Upload”…

• Now another Ashtech Promark100 has a same kind of problem. Although installation process seems to run smoothly finally I can´t choose a tracking mode in GNSS Toolbox anymore- “The current option is not available!”. I get messages like that “2.70 Bad parameter on port F” and “30.13 No GNSS detected”. It seems to be a problem related to older devices (Ashtechs Promark 100) because Spectra MobileMapper 120 are fine after firmware installation. Is there some things I can try to solve this problem?
        After the installation the GNSS Toolbox>About is like that:                GNSS Toolbox Version: 2.0.5                GNSS Service: Version 2.5.a                GNSS Firmware: Hm27                System Firmware: W215

• Is it possible that firmware installation still doesn’t help my Ashtechs and Spectras? The first firmware installation I thought was successful turned out to be a failure. GNSS device showed a correct date and also the post-processing raw data file name had the right day and year numbers but nevertheless it was impossible to do the post-processing – the measurements start time was 20 years off…
          Is it important that the firmware update was done after April 6th? Not all the GNSS devices doesn’ t have the latest software – is this the reason why installation fails?

• Have you heard the latest on Rollover week, my promark 2s are not processing data.  I am using Ashtech Solutions.  I only use Promark 2s once every couple of months so I was not in the loop at the time of the rollover.  Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

4. I know one issue I have is upgrading the Firmware in my Hiper II’s.  I am running a couple of newer Rangers with my GPS and when I upgrade the firmware, they stop working.  It appears that after doing this in the past and having problems I would have to pay for an OAF file or Legacy file for the Hipers to make them work with the Rangers if I upgrade firmware.  I’m hoping to get by doing nothing.

5. I have PM500 with v4 firmware could i update to the v6.8 ? And what about the fast survey software of the MMCX controller in v2.3.5? Is there any chance of incompatibility  ?

• Mark, this news will allow me stop banging my head against a post about my PM3s for the time being.
      Will see what the rollover brings.
      🍺

• I have a lot of good memories using my PM3 receivers.  I sold them, of the three one wasn’t working but I shipped all three.
        When I was using them 15 to 10 years ago they would get more satellites than the Trimble 4700s and 4800s I was using at work.  Processed them in GNSS Solutions with really amazing results.  GNSS solutions had a really handy ground coordinate system generator, I would routinely check coordinate pairs with my Total Station in under a hundredth.
        The stop&go was like super cheap RTK, worked great.  I even used them to stake out search coordinates, would routinely get me within 3′ of a monument I was looking for.

• Hi Dave,

I still work with promark 3 receivers and they haven’t let me down after the rollover. The GNSS solutions still works with a workaround method, where you have to import the receivers one at a time, but i’m really curious about the stop&go for staking out.
          Could you tell me about it or give me any insight about this technique ?
          3′ would really work for me and would save me a lot of time.

• ‘End of life’ my butt.  These things still collect data – they are still alive and kicking.  Hopefully they still work in a couple of weeks.

• I updated the two GR3s we still have.  The file light wouldn’t come on.  It turns out the file system needs to be initialized.  I got a green REC light on one, initializing the other one.
      The FC500 controller is dead, on charge now so can’t test RTK yet but can test static.
      So the moral of the story is you may lose all the files still on the receiver so download them if necessary.  The last use these ones saw was two years ago so they were downloaded long ago.

6. I was surprised to see that the PM2 isn’t affected.  I haven’t turned mine on in about a decade, but apparently they still work.

7. According to the email from Trimble we need at least firmware version 2.32; we have 4.84 on three R4-3 receivers and 5.35 on three R8s receivers so we should have a go for launch.

8. This is Leica’s response on there “Myworld” website. They have been affected by these rollovers in the past, so will be crossing my fingers at 12:01am.

“GPS Week Rollover

9. A new WNRO resource page from Unavco (the folks that run the Earthscope PBO GNSS array). They have links to info for all of the models/makes they have (or have had) in their inventory,  and results of some of their own tests (and an interesting video of one of those tests).

10. The sky is falling! The sky is falling!GPS rollover is upon us!I set 5 nails in the yard yesterday, in a line 5 feet apart.  I collected 2.5 hours of data with 5 receivers, 1 new Javad, and 4 older units.  I will download and process the data myself against a local CORS station and compare the results.  I will also upload each file to OPUS to verify their software is getting the same results as mine, and everything is 5ft apart and in a line.  Next week I will repeat the procedure and see if the results match.  I am only concerned with static work with these old receivers, so this is the testing procedure I came up with.Anyone else go through testing their equipment?

• I tested some Promark Xcm units … dates were about 19-1/2 years off(August 1999), but everything else “appears”, okay … we shall see once I re-learn how to download the data, make Rinex files and how I used to change the dates on the Rinex files.
      BTW … I have 14 Promark Xcm’s, and they look virtually brand new. I plan on giving 4-5 to a buddy in southern Ohio, might keep 2-3 and would like to find someone who could use what’s left …

John

11. I was told Topcon ran some tests. They concluded that receivers made after 1999 will survive tomorrows rollover, even without the suggested firmware updates. Basically, those that do not update the firmware will have clock issues that will likely take much longer to initialize. However, accuracy should not be affected.

12. I hope this is the case. My Hiper+ and Legacy E+ don’t have memory so I am unable to upload the firmware, still trying to find a work around. Is it possible to install some memory in these myself?

• Well one thing I noticed was, that Sokkia lists the GSR2700’s as all end of life.  They were made with a partnership called Point Inc, with Novatel.  Using Novatel Boards.  Whose website lists them as all (post 1999) as fully compliant. So….

• Your receivers may not have user memory, but if they use firmware to control the hardware — I’m not aware of any survey-grade receivers that don’t — you should be able to upload a firmware update.

13. I took our Topcon Hiper II’s out and tried them out.  No problem with the roll over.  I didn’t think I would have problems but just wanted to confirm.  It does appear a few people are having problems.

14. TN DOT runs a Topcon VRS….Got this message a few minutes ago…To all TDOT GNSS network clients, We’ve been receiving multiple reports from users concerning inability to get connected to the network. We think this is due to the GPS rollover that took place over the weekend. We are communicating with Topcon representative to help get this issue resolved ASAP. We do apologize for the inconvenience.Then a few minutes later…FYI, TDOT IT will perform a firmware fix to the connectivity issue between 7PM-10PM tonight. Network outage may occurs during this time. So it looks like Topcon has a fix for whatever the problem is.

15. My Sokkia GSR2700 ISX base and rover appear to be unaffected, end of life was a few years ago and the last firmware update was shortly before that.The only issue I’ve found is that Sokkia Planning software, which I use to convert the Sokkia/Novatel .pdc file downloaded from the base into .n and .o rinex files for post processing, is producing a 1999 gps nav .n file. Novatel ‘convert’ software is an alternative, currently experimenting with installing that on a Windows 10 pc along with Borland database engine which it requires, both were designed to run on XP/Win 7.

• Admin’s Note: I wouldn’t normally allow specific links from a manufacturer since technically it’s considered advertising. But I’m letting this one post simply because you are helping one of our members. So thank you, but just a little FYI for future reference.

• Andrew
        Thanks for that. I’m already running v3.907 (final) firmware on both the Sokkia GSR2700 ISX base and rover receivers. After a few more trials it looks as if the base receiver is logging a .pdc file, but when it’s converted to rinex the nav or n file is back in 1999. The observations or o file is fine.
        In Magnet Tools, for post processing you can load the .pdc file directly without converting and this doesn’t work now, so that suggests the problem is with the receiver and not the conversion software. The easiest workaround is to download an ephemeris file from one the IGS sites, that’s just two clicks of the mouse in Magnet Tools!
        I wonder how Don Poole in Cape Cod is doing with these receivers? Would be interesting to know if anyone else has had this issue.

• Hi Artie,
          I’m glad you have a workaround. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any more questions or issues.
          Andrew Levson,
          NovAtel Applications Engineering

16. I have an old Topcon Hyper lite +. Has anyone had problems with updating the firmware for this unit?
    Is it advisable to update? What if I leave it as is? Any help is appreciated!

• Mine seemed to be ok for static  and OPUS but rtk had a 1999 date so do  not believe that would work in the field.  Tried to load the firmware into the base using Bluetooth and have it all locked up so can not use it.  May have to send it out.  Was successful with the rover using a serial cable.  Have not tried the H2 or the Hv yet but they both take the same firmware so should not be a problem.

17. A buddy of mine, whom is my boss at work, ran 2 PM2’s Tuesday for a elevation certificate. He reset set the unites before running his session. Opened up Ashech Solutions and downloaded the data. He said that worked fine. But when he tried to bring the data up in  Ashech Solutions it wouldn’t do it. So last night I ran 1 PM2 in my driveway. Downloaded the file and Almanac, Put the Almanac in the Ashech Solutions bin folder, and opened Ashech Solutions. There the site was. My file had the correct date. I’ll have to set 2 PM2’s up next time and post process the session to see if that works. As far as I know is I put the Almanac in the bin folder. I put the lat and lon in Google Earth and there it was in my driveway.

• I was wondering if you completed your PM2’s function test? I have PM2’s and they have quit working properly sense the rollover. Any help is appreciated…..

18. i’m using a pair of promark3 (l1) and even if in the field everything looks normal, i can’t process them in GNSS Solutions. Any idea about converting in rinex files and to the process to that programm or to another??

• PROMARK 3 & GNSS SOLUTION

I am a owner of a pair of promark 3 .

SOLUTION

STEP 1

1. CREATE NEW PROJECT (par example TEST 1)
      2. DOWNLOAD OR IMPORT DATA FROM ONE UNIT ONLY (BASE OR ROVER)
      3. IMPORT
      4. EXIT FROM PROGRAM

STEP 2

1. RUN GNSS SOLUTION
      2. OPEN EXISTING PROJECT (TEST 1)
      3. DOWNLOAD OR IMPORT DATA FROM THE SECOND UNIT ONLY (BASE OR ROVER)
      4. IMPORT
      5. PROCCESS AND AJUST

All the static solutions are perfect.

GEORGE TSIPAS

CIVIL ENGINEER

XYLOKASTRO GREECE

Email:[email protected]

19. Ashtech Solutions: you really should at least switch to the latest version of GNSS Solutions. It is not perfect, but the processing engine is much better.GNSS Solutions: the RINEX convertor that is in GNSS Solutions won’t work (defective). Manually convert the Ashtech files to RINEX using the 4.7.2 (newly released) RINEX converter, then import the RINEX into GNSS Solutions. You can download the new RINEX convertor from the Spectra SP80 web page (at the bottom.)

• 3.10.01 is the latest I know of.I have my own control points set and processed from TxDot CORS stations that range across several counties that I use exclusively.When they get covered over or knocked out, I move at least 50ft and set new ones.0.02

• Thank you Mark! I did that and it’s working for single base solutions! But now my problem is “stop & go” techique. GNSS can’t give me back adjusted fixed solutions for the points of interest that I measure! The accuracy that returns the programm is about 3-4m, although when I put them on an orthophoto seems to be ok! Any ideas?
      Also, in new RINEX convertor from the Spectra SP80 i saw that when I use downloaded data from GNSS (unzip Promark3 data in GNSS Solutions) and try to convert them to rinex the information pad gives me as last observation time 1980 and that scares me!!!

• I don’t have any files to play with, so I can’t legitimately comment. I don’t have any PM3 or PM2’s left, which is indicative of ‘it might be time for you to purchase new equipment.’ (I don’t know if I am allowed to say that without upsetting a lot of people.)
        I realize that the audience here is worldwide and there is a varying degree of resources available. However, I would like to point out that it is 2019 and there are a variety of dual frequency devices available at fairly reasonable prices that work without standing on one foot, holding a scepter at a 23 deg 14 min 32 second angle to the horizon at a bearing of astronomical north and jumping up and down three times, exchanging the foot on the ground with each jump. And now we find that one must have one red sock and one green sock to complete a project.
        All my recent uses of GNSS Solutions have ended in the program hanging when importing ‘some’ CORS RINEX files (about half the stations trigger a hang). The HI’s on imported files are not applied universally unless you open the occupation and click the ‘Apply to All’ button. The adjustment program is contained in an external tool which is removed by most anti-virus programs. These are only the worst issues. There are many more.
        To this end, I am declaring ‘GNSS Solutions’ end of life and I am not supporting it anymore. If you are a hobbyist using ‘GNSS Solutions’ then good luck to you. If you are relying on ‘GNSS Solutions’ for any professional purpose then you playing with fire. GSol is not reliable by any measure and it is long past time for you to move on.
        On April 18th, when I found myself responding to WNRO issues from 7 until midnight (I literally was getting over 20 questions per day by email from non-customers, world wide and in 4 languages) I officially pulled the plug. There is a complete description of my frustration at my blog, and this time I am serious. From my perspective ‘GNSS Solutions’ is dead. If you are using it, you are foolish. End of discussion.
        I am very sorry about this. I really liked GNSS Solutions (and the predecessor Ashtech Solutions) and I don’t love any of the replacements that are available today. The engine that is in GNSS Solutions was excellent. I am wary of any tool that does not closely match. But GNSS Solutions is so unreliable that it is a waste of time to load data into it. Every move you make is one closer to it hanging.
        So no more talk about ‘GNSS Solutions’: it is dead. To beat it more exposes us as idiots.

• BOOO. Hissss. I do not like what you said, BUT YOU ARE CORRECT. Putting some PM3’s out there and letting them run has been an easy and reliable thing to do. I am not sold on network rovers and new equipment is expensive for just a static traverse pair or site elevation.
          Sorry I booed you and others have not liked what you have to say. You have been a mentor and a guidepost for us otherwise unaffiliated users of no-longer-cool ways of doing things. Your endless hours of assistance is proven by the number of your Technical Bulletins in my Ashtech Folder. I have never had to contact you because you have always answered my question on a post, blog, bulletin, note or paper, before I needed to ask it. You have not been selfish with your time, knowledge or expertise; which others, like myself, have taken advantage. I wonder if that lady that sells me flagging knows anything about satellite receivers.

20. Is the recent GPS rollover the reason as to why I can’t load static data for processing in GNSS solutions? I had not updated my firmware.

21. I have GNSS and PM3S with the last updates and it all works for me if I follow the limitations.I can upload data into GNSS Solutions only from the SD card and must process only one point at a time before performing an adjustment using all observations together.”Hangn’ on”

22. Hi all,
    I fixed my ProMark100 and I got the updated stage as below.
    GNSS Toolbox Version: 3.5.3
    GNSS Service: Version 2.5.a
    GNSS Firmware: Hm27
    System Firmware: W215
    my one has service version 2.5.a, not 2.5.1
    When importing recorded static data, date is roll back to october 1999.
    Pls help me, how can i fix my problem.
    Thanks