Wisconsin Surveyor Knows His Sh*t

Updated: September 5, 2019

Wisconsin Surveyor Knows His Shit

Hundreds of people came out to Sauk Prairie to participate in a Wisconsin tradition and see just how far they could fling dried cow dung.

111 women and 149 men signed up for the 2019 Wisconsin Cow Chip Throw. Each contestant was allowed to select and throw two cow chips, with their best score being recorded. Officials said contestants came from Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, California, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York and Georgia.

The distance of each throw was measured by Dan Marks of River Valley Land Surveying using a real time GPS receiver. Marks said the devices is often used to locate property corners for exact coordinates within a hundredth of a foot.

Click here to read the full article

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
WhatsApp
Skype

Originally published on September 5, 2019

About the Author

Wendell T. Harness

I’ve been building online properties since the late 1980’s and transitioned to web design in 1999. I formed Harness Media in 2005 to help businesses grow through online marketing. I also talk to cats in a silly voice.

18 thoughts on “Wisconsin Surveyor Knows His Sh*t”

1. All I can add is that my family was pleased to help make this event possible.  Of course, now we are all running a little low on s**t.

2. Pfffft….RTK?I will only recognize the results of a fully constrained static network adjustment using fixed height tripods.And they better have observed the punch mark in the center of those chips. ….there was a punch in them, right?

• @rover83
      Well its a distance contest, it should be the part of the chip farthest from the throw line, or is it the closest point in a contest?

3. Posted by: @wendell using a real time GPS receiver. Marks said the devices is often used to locate property corners for exact coordinates within a hundredth of a foot

If he can do that reliably, the brand should be begging for credit.

4. This is the first year with a new surveyor. The previous surveyor used Leica. However he is in a bit of legal trouble right now. This event takes place a few blocks from my house. I’ve thrown a few times in the past but not this year. Their slogan is we’re number 1 in number 2.

5.  What would Kent do? Since Kent does not seem that he should help us any more, I reckon we should give our best guess.I think this brings up one of the most simple of all questions, and the most sophomoric of all idiots should know the answer. Even Richard Shaut of Wisconsin probably knows (dippity idiot). Here’s the answer. What you must do is measure the density of the fecal matter, to determine the point of impact. This is then fed into ** Star net. Redundant measurements are necessary.Then, the little pile of hi density fecal matter, (organic compressed straw, oats) is determined by a professional land surveyor. Rtk is out.Must use static receivers. The surveyor also must set 5/8″ capped rebar, at each impact point.I gotta go.

6. Our local high school would play cow patty bingo for fund raisers, they would divide the football field up into one yard squares on paper and the participants could purchase as many squares as they wanted and when all the squares were sold they would turn a cow out on the field for a certain amount of time and then determine which pile was the largest and I would locate it and determine its location on the field.

7. I have not been to a cow chip chunkin” contest in a very long time The girls are the show and become awesome competitorsNothing compares to cow patty dust filling the air and cold beer washes it down very well.One of redneck finest competitions and everyone there needs hosing down afterwards

• @daniel-ralph
      Well, it’s exact if you never measure it again…

One of the projects I am assisting with (in another state) has a PLS all worked up because two independent conventional side shots to a 3″ diameter monument miss the published coordinate by about five hundredths and each other by three.

8. Most of the time in these reports that are written by General Interest scribes, the reporter will mistakenly write something in error. I have seen this happen.For instsnce, the surveyor could have said that the measurements are displayed or recorded or measured to the hundreths without saying anything about accuracy. But the general interest reporter covering a cow chip toss writes about the accuracy.So I will defend the surveyor here that they was misunderstood by reporter.Carry on with  the cow chip tossing here.

9. It is usually a great achievement to know your sh*t but I don’t think this would qualify. Now being the official Punkin Chunkin Surveyor would be cool.